BEBIGGY eCommerce experts will help you to launch a successful online business with this step-by- step guide. Read on to learn how to get started.
The key to finding your niche is to aim for the combination of market demand and choosing product category that fits your interest, knowledge and skills. Keep in mind that certain products are selling well online, while other items may be more difficult to sell when they can’t be viewed in person.
Once you find the business field that interests you the most, you need to research on products’ demand, number of competitors in that niche and the potential it has for additional merchants.
If you need ideas and inspiration, check out Website Categories (linked to Websites for Sale/Categories page) on our website that will spark your entrepreneurial passion while appealing to a unique target audience.
Also, you can check Google Trends to search for specific types of products and see how many people have been looking for it over the last few months or years.
Before you start the process of opening your online store, take the time to draw up a detailed business plan that will help you plan the steps you’ll need to take to make your business successful. Figure out your cost of operation and map out a marketing strategy.
You’ll want to take these factors into account:
- The raw cost of the products
- Website hosting and security
- Domain name
- Customized website design and development
- Logo design, product photography, and other graphic artwork
- Products description and website content strategy
- Marketing and paid advertising
Once you’ve decided what you’d like to sell, you need to choose where you’ll sell. While there are benefits to selling via marketplaces like Etsy, Amazon or Ebay, for long-term success, we recommend selling on an eCommerce platform that will allow you to control your own brand.
If you decide to set up your own eCommerce store, it’s recommended to choose between Magento, WordPress (WooCommerce) and Shopify. All of these will provide you custom flexibility and work with the most popular payment gateways.
To design your online shop, you have 2 options: to design the website on your own or to hire web designer and developer to create it for you. The emphasis should be on showcasing your product and making it as easy as possible for customers to make a purchase.
You may find useful the following tips to optimize your website visually and technically:
- Stick to your branding and make each page follow the same pattern;
- Include forms for subscriptions and promotions to gather email addresses, so you can send advertisements and special offers;
- Consider your customer’s experience on your website and make it as simple as possible – customer should have to make no more than 2 clicks to check out what he’s looking for;
- Make your website navigation intuitive and clear;
- Write unique product descriptions and post high-resolution product images;
- Optimize your website for search engines;
- Advertise your new store on Google and social media to reach more customers.